Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pretty Little Pouch Swap Finish

After getting up early on a Saturday morning, gathering groceries and doing a bit of tidying, I sat down at the sewing machine and put together my pouch for the Pretty Little Pouch swap on Flickr. I found a tutorial by Quilters Table, that would be perfect for my project so I went with that.  It was a great tutorial, and the pictures were helpful.

I decided that I would do a bit of adapting of the fabric, seeing as my original idea to make rainbow hexies just was not working for me. I knew that my swapee liked linen, so I started with a piece of white linen, that I added strips that were 1 inch in width. I did these in a crisscross pattern across the fabric until I thought it looked just right, then I trimmed it to size. I then went ahead and made the rest of the pouch with its numerous pockets and zippers.

pouch front
 What I did not take into consideration that adapting the fabric adds some extra bulk here and there, so my measurements off a smidgen, not to mention making the top zipper and its tab hard to sew together.  While it looks okay, its not the perfect look I had hoped for. I hope my swappee partner will be okay with it. You can see from this photo, the little tab at the end of the zipper is very small and squished into the seam. In fact its almost lost with all the batting, seams etc.
pouch back and top zipper

 For the lining, I used the various rainbow on black fabrics that I got for that purpose. Each pocket is a different fabric with a black background, while the exterior is white with rainbows.  Over all it looks very pretty and the multitude of pockets means the user can store a variety of stuff in it. The pouch measures 6.5 by 5.5. 

lining of the pouch
I sure hope that Emily of Sewemsews really likes it. 

No comments: