Monday, August 31, 2015

August Bee Blocks

This month of the bee for do good stitches, Sheila is on deck. She has chosen an HRT block and a rainbow color way for us to make up.  If you have never made an HRT before, Sheila found a great tutorial here.

Not sure how many low volume fabrics I have on hand as I am traveling and seem to have fabrics spread between British Columbia and Ontario, but I will do my best. I was able to pull some pinks that will work but had a bit of difficulty in doing the rainbow thing as requested.  Perhaps the store in Ottawa will be open when I fly in?

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Vacation Bible School

This year at St Georges Chapel we  just finished Vacation Bible School. We use a program by Group which is quite wonderfully well prepared.  I mean they tell you how to do everything which is great when you are all out of ideas and not sure just what to do. 

They provide music which is catchy and singable.  I had the theme song in my head for three days, which means it rates up there with the musical score from the movie Frozen!  The program also has options for costumes and set display.

Take a look at our set!  Its amazing! My favorite is the sheep.  The best of all is that we can use this again at Christmas time for our pagent.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Space Age Baby Quilt

This quilt was sewn back when the weather was cold and snowy. I finally had time to stitch on the binding and put this one to rest. Turned out pretty good I think. I really like how effective this pattern is.  If I recall the pattern is from Stitchery Dickory Dock.  The quilting is done in a light blue thread that has stars and and swirls - something that is to remind you of zooming through space on your own space ship as the fabric indicates.

Monday, August 17, 2015

How to Layout

Many of the July bee blocks have arrived and are on the design wall.   The pattern I picked is part of a contest by Cloud Nine  and by Badskirt who bless her heart, offered a few layout options.  I have a few more blocks to make in order to make the quilt big enough for a twin size bed along with waiting for a few more quilters to get their blocks to me.

So what layout do you prefer?

Or maybe this one?

I think that I favor this one out of the two of four layout options.  It reminds me of ocean waves.

Monday, August 10, 2015

L7 Black and white

In the spring of the year I made a quilt from Me and My Sister Designs called L7. I had been saving a collection of black and white prints for what seemed the longest time and finally decided this was the pattern for all those pieces of fabric. I must say it was a charm to work on as the pattern is simple to follow and it came together beautifully. The bad news was I had enough blocks that I could have made two KING size quilts. Needless to say in the quest for being thrifty, I put aside the left over blocks and decided that they would be quilts down the road. 

Sadly it took me a while to get the top done with all the other projects that I had on the go, but here she is.  I added a border around it, to pull it all together and I am pleased with how it looks. Please forgive me cause I thought I had taken a photo but when I went through my photos, I realized that I did not take the photo.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015


I celebrated BC Day by spending the day quilting and enjoying green tea frappacinos from Starbucks. Of course I did a few other things like clean up my sewing room and another room in the house where things had gotten very messy and needed some sorting out.

Of course some one left his drink on the edge of his desk and Hoshi decided that she would take his straw and run around the house with the drink cup and the straw.  It was an interesting half hour, a battle of wills ensued to see who would win out.

Monday, July 6, 2015

Gracie Girl Remix

This year is all about using up fabric from old projects.  You know those bits and pieces that every quilter says I will just put this over here and make thus and such from the left overs. Of course the next bit of frippery comes along in the form of fabric and our attention is pulled in another direction.

That is not to say that I have not be experimenting with new fabric, I have. But I am trying to balance it out with old stuff too. One of those fabrics is a Riley Blake line called Gracie Girl. I bought it because it reminded me of my mom, Grace. I made her a lovely quilt with the material. And was surprised at how much fabric I had left over from the fat quarter bundle.

So I decided to make some square in squares of various sizes and make some small baby quilts with them.  The first quilt has been fashioned after a quilt I saw on Jedi Craft Girls website,  where she used my favorite nautical prints.

I made this first quilt and still have a enough to make another one that will be at least a lap size. I had Tracey quilt this one up for me and added some left over binding I had from the first project and VOILA! A baby quilt ready for a baby girl.