Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Watermelon Salad

Fresh Watermelon Spring Salsa recipe
photo by Kraft
Okay I must admit, I am not keen on watermelon.  Never have been.  Its a texture thing.  A few weeks ago I saw on Pinterest a pin highlighting a watermelon salsa and thought maybe that is something worth trying. So I followed the links, picked up one of those mini watermelons, one that is the size of a small salad plate in diameter.  I also got some Kraft dressing as per the recipe, a handful of cilantro out of the garden and I was well on the way.  I got to say it was tasty and even better the next day after the flavors had time to sit and blend.  Even the husband, who took the left overs in his lunch (and did not know just what they were, he had hoped a Greek salad!) liked it.  We made it again a few nights later for a dinner party and again rave reviews.  So I thought I would pass it along. Just remember to chop up things in to 1/4 dice and you have a great salad.  I added a bit more cilantro and dressing than the original recipe calls for but it made it even better.

Ingredients:  1 1/2 cups chopped watermelon, 1 cup chopped cucumber, 1/2 cup chopped red onion, 3 tbsp cilantro chopped, 3 tbsp Kraft zesty Italian dressing,1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsp Serrano chile minced. Mix all ingredients in a bowl, and serve.  If you can let it sit an hour it tastes even better.   Note:  the first batch I made of this I did not have a chile to use and it was fine without it. 

Now go try it and enjoy it at your house.



No comments: