Wednesday, September 5, 2012

London Calling


Well the Olympics are over and now we are seeing images of the para Olympics on our TV screens. Getting inspired by images of the UK, a few months ago I picked up from the Fat Quarter Shop, ‘Cool Britiannia” by Benartex Fabrics fat quarter packet.  

I wasn’t sure what to do with this fabric, only that I really like it and wanted to get it.  Laying out all the pieces after pressing, I thought something free form would be good for the first quilt made from this fabric.  Yes I did say first quilt, because I expect that I will have enough bits and pieces left over for a second quilt that will be baby size.  I think that quilt will be a wonky star or a rectangle square quilt. 
In the meantime, I am left with what to do with the first quilt.  So far I have been making some random blocks. A wonky star, some stripes to mimic the cover of a certain Beatles album, and a disappearing nine patch which looks really cool with mini British flags. This is what is it looks like so far.
The configuration will be making some changes I think.  Shortly after taking this photo, I was eyeballing it and thinking I need some more solid spaces to give the eye a place to rest. Or do I keep it really busy?  Kinda like being in Piccadilly Square with all its overwhelming sights, sounds and traffic.  I will make some moves of the blocks on my flannel wall over the next week and see what I can come up with.  But right now I am really torn. 

No comments: