Sunday, July 29, 2012

TV Dust Cover

I was reminded last weekend with my mom dusting everything in site how much dust there is during the summer months.  The gravel pit down the road has been blasting and a good rumble brings up dust.  Since there hasn't been rain for a few weeks it just seems to float in the air.

Anyways that inspired me to make a dust cover for the TV in my sewing room. When it is not in use it can be lovingly displaying a fantastic piece of fabric, Sugar and Spice by the Quilted Fish for Riley Blake. I think my husband was super impressed that it had balls on it, referring to some ball fringe trim I had left over from another project.
TV dust cover

This was simple to do.  Just measure the width, height and how deep your TV is. We have a flat screen so its not all that deep, about 4 inches. Essentially you are needing 2 rectangles and one long strip ( I used a coordinating print).  I cut my pieces 23 X 16, giving myself an extra inch in this measurement to allow for a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Your coordinating piece is cut 5" by the WOF X 2.  You will have to sew this end to end, press open.  Now attach this piece to one rectangle then the other.  When you are 1/2" from the edge of the first seam, stop with needle in, lift the foot, turn the fabric to sew the top and repeat until you reach the other corner.  Make a clip in the corners so the 5" piece of fabric will lie flat. repeat for the other side.  Trim the bottom and fold up 1/2".  If you want to add trim now is the time to do it.

Sorry for no pics explaining as I went along.  I didn't think about making it a tutorial as I was doing it. But if you are unsure about how to do it, let me know and I will do a sample.

No comments: