Sunday, March 11, 2012

New York Beauty (NYB)

I love New York Beauty (NYB) quilts.  They are a great way to use up scraps of fabrics from other projects and they produce a stunning project at the end.  I have yet to see a ugly NYB, even though they may be filled with what one would call ugly fabrics. 

Anyways, every few years I make a NYB, I just can't seem to help myself.  Right now there is a NYB quilt along at Sew Sweetness that is also linked up to Flickr that I have joined.  I have decided not to purchase any fabrics for this but to use up scraps of batiks and left overs from the Solstice Stars QA. Yes I am making two.  Not to put any pressure on myself. 

The blocks take about an hour, at least right now.  Once I get into the rhythm I can whittle that time down to 40 minutes or at least I did the last time I made a 60 X 60 size one. The batik version will be almost monochromatic, or each block will at least keep to the same color family.  The second version will be very colorful, using white, orange, red, turquoise and green, using up scraps that made the Solstice star quilt.

So far here is what they are looking like. 

NYB Bali Batiks

NYB orange, blue, yellow, red, green scraps

No comments: