Sunday, June 12, 2011

Retreating from Cornwall

Nav Res - Conference center
The guys from Downstairs while on basic training
Last Sunday I awoke at an awful hour to catch a plane to Ottawa, our nations capital, then a bus to Cornwall where military chaplains were meeting for a week to study, pray and relax.
It was wonderful to see friends that I had spent basic training with and to catch up with all that has gone on in our lives in a year.  For some there have been huge changes, moving from country to country, into theater & out, even death of family members.  Even myself, in  year I have had to adjust to having a husband living two provinces away to being under the same roof, moving into new house and other assorted life changes. 

Since the flight ( there and back) were so long, I took some hand work to do.  Finished the binding on place mats for Christmas.  Yes I know, a bit early, I'm an overachiever.  I also did the hand work on the cathedral windows that I made up as a sampler.  It turned out pretty good.  I will be making it into a pillow top but I think I want to make some more cathedral windows.  Its nice hand work to do when your traveling.

Cathedral windows
waterwheel blocks
 
When I arrived home I found I had three envelopes from the States waiting for me.  They were the blocks I had asked for as part of a block exchange earlier in the month. I just had to lay them out on the floor with the ones I've been making to see how they will look. Now only to get some free time to do some heavy duty stitching.  I think my free time is going to be a bit skimpy for a free weeks so I might not be ask productive as I hope I will be.  This weeks projects, just so I can hold myself accountable, are finishing the cathedral windows pillow, put away the mountain of yardage that needs to be ironed, finish the binding on the bento box quilt, and put binding on the tree skirts.  I know more Christmas stuff. 

No comments: