Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Return from Penticton

I have just spent the last four days away in Penticton, a lovely community nestled in the Okanogan of British Columbia, joining with other clergy and laity from my denomination in a provincial meeting called Conference.  While I didn't relish being away from my lovely bed, that I can set to what ever firmness I desire that day, the setting and the experience were wonderful, and restful despite the fact I went to bed much later than I normally do at home.  It was great to be immersed in familiar language of the church, music that is lively and written within the last 10 years and talk about social justice issues to focus on in the year ahead. (Okay spending an hour and a half talking about ethically raised meat was a bit much!)  The only thing I regret was that there wasn't a bit more time to drive up the highway and go to one of the many vineyards in the area.  While I am not a huge wine drinker, sometimes just an experience is a wonderful and fascinating thing to do.  I wonder if I can convince the husband that he wants to take some of my leave period and do a little road trip.  Its 6 hours plus a ferry trip, but could be done in a long weekend.  While there wasn't a lot of free time, with what I had, I made sure I went outside, sat on the beach, lingered at Starbucks and stopped at the local quilt store called Poppins.  I wish I would have brought my camera, but alas I was trying to travel light.  Who wouldn't want to visit a town nestled between two lakes, with a semi arid climate? 

No comments: