Sunday, November 21, 2010

Quilts and Cookies

Construction Four Patch
I am officially up to my eyes in quilts and cookies.  Just after Thanksgiving (the Canadian one) I started baking my Christmas goodies, so's not to get caught in the busyness of the season later on.  This coming Friday we are having a cookie exchange at church which means I need to bring a few dozen to church for exchanging and snacking.  I was trying out some new recipes from Canadian Living magazine this year and think I have found some winners to add to our family recipe chest.  They all have turned out wonderfully and are easy to make.  Only had a problem with 1 ingredient and not being able to find it in my local grocers.  I just love it when something comes through as promised.  If you haven't picked up this magazine you should.  Its worth every penny.
Asian Strippy Quilt using left overs from a runner.
As for the quilts, I am now in miles of binding, handing sewing it around the quilts that have returned from the long arm quilter.  I also have my eye on making some mug rugs and coffee cup sleeves as some quick gifts.  So I have my work cut out for me.  In the mean time, take a look at what I have been doing.
Coin Quilt.  Don't you love the quilting.
  And not to brag, on top of that, there is the regular house cleaning and getting meals ready for the week ahead.  This week I am trying out Anna Olsen's (not to be confused with my Olsen's) Fresh cookbook.  So far the prime rib coated in a mustard & horseradish crust is awesome.  From the left over mushrooms and onions from that dish, I was able to make some mushroom soup, which is fantastic. Later in the week we have a few other dishes from the book to test.  Kind of like our family version of Anna & Kristina's Grocery Bags.  The husband and I have over the past year picking recipe books and trying to broaden our horizons. I must admit it has been an interesting experiment and a wonderful way to get some new favorite recipes. You must try it out.  
Rainbow Squares- my interpretation of Red Pepper Quilts block.

Cozy flannel and chenille baby quilt.

No comments: