Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Go Sens Quilt




f you living the nations capital region you are familiar with the Ottawa Senators.  Their colors are red, black and white and sadly for me they are the closest hockey team to my current location.  There are a lot of folks around work who have Sens propaganda in their offices and go on and on about their wins and losses. And don't get me started on the Leafs and Canadiens.



Getting ready for the numerous departures that happen in June, I have some quilts to make and one of course will have a Sens theme or at least their colors. The pattern is called Woven Eights and I got it at my LQS, Bib'n Tucker.  It is made for the jelly roll so I went and got a red and white jelly maple roll, add some black solid and an easy quilt top that is a good cuddle quilt size. 



I was surprised how fast it went together, a few hours after supper I had the strips together and pressed, while the next day I cut them all out and sewed the centers and added the black edging. After finishing I wanted to add borders as the pattern calls for but decided to make a piano key border instead of just straight strips banding the quilt. That meant another jelly roll but it was worth it.  I like it better than just a banded border.

 Tada! The quilting is done using white thread in a very jagged geometric pattern that really suits the quilt and helps keeps its masculinity. The back is a soft wide width cotton that makes it nice for washing and won't pill like flannel would.

No comments: