Friday, February 21, 2014

You've Got Mail



I found a tutorial on the Missouri Star Quilt Co. that takes two layers cakes and two charm packs to make a really interesting quilt top.  The one in their tutorial uses material from Tim Holtz making it the perfect guy quilt.  But the design is such that one could take pretty much any fabric line and make a very nice quilt.

Visiting my LQS, I was looking for Bali Crackers in River Rock but was unable to find them locally and for a price that was less than $50 a pack.  The next best alternative was to make my own version of the colorway from 20 bolts of Bali fabric and a few meters of a soft grey solid from Colorworks.
After cutting out 10” squares from Balis and the solid, I slapped the two together, sewed all around the edges and cross cut on the diagonals and pressed.  Voila! A pile of HSTS, that become the block when you take three HSTs and add a fourth of a different color, making the envelope flap. Yup, that easy.
 I had picked up, I guess two years now, a kit that had a fat quarter pack, layer cake, jelly roll and charm packs of Basic Grey Origins.  I used up one of the jelly rolls, making a runner and quilt top, both of whom are quite lovely. But I do have a layer cake remaining that this pattern may be the perfect one for.  Note to self, put this on the to do list….

No comments: