Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ship Flags

In the Naval community, the first Sunday of May is Battle of Atlantic Sunday. At home, we all get dressed in our finest, head down to the cenotaph at the corner of the Legislature and the service proceeds.  Its not very long about 30 min total where the names of the ships that sunk are read and we remember the dead. It is very eery hearing the name of the ship, the ring for the bell and then nothing. No answering ring... Even more atmospheric when the low fog comes in and all you can hear is the water crashing on the shore, and the bell.

Roll Call
The Roll Call



Since I am landlocked in Ontario, this Battle of Atlantic Sunday was spent at the local chapel where I led the service. One of the little projects that I did on the weekend in preparation of setting the stage for Sunday was to make flags based on the International Code of Signals.  It was fun to make these little flags. 




For those who are curious each flag was 6 x 8 inches finished. I sewed them on three sides, trimmed corners and turned right side out and pressed.  Then folded the top in on itself.  I then took a 1.5 strip from another project, and make a string that was 4 meters by 1/2 inch wide.  I slipped the string, folded into  v shape into the flag, sewed it and repeated.  I am tempted to make a few more they were that fun.
Dressing the ship
See the flags behind me and my helper

I wonder if I hung them in my window, how long would it take someone to respond to what it was signalling?  Would anyone know? Might be a fun experiment to try.



No comments: