Monday, March 18, 2013

Running Stitch Block Challenge

In the middle of February, one of the quilt stores close to me ( an 1 1/2 hr away) decided to have a block challenge. For five dollars, you received a brown bag with three fabrics and told to do and make something before the 5th of March.

Since I liked the Modern Star so much I thought that it would be a good one to try again. Unfortunately I didn't do a good job at planning the layout of the fabric and the star looks like a big grey lump in the middle.  I had thought there was a bit more of a color difference between the two greys, but alas...

While it doesn't look bad, it is not the greatest either. Too matchy matchy.  If I was to do it again I would have added another fabric and put the grey stripe on the outer four corners instead of white. That would look much better.

So because I didn't like the first block and I had enough fabric left, I made another one.  This one I used Elizabeth Dacksons block from Quilt makes 100 blocks. Her blog is Don't Call me Betsy.  I must say I like how this one turned out.  It  would make a great scrap quilt pattern if you want to use up all those 2 1/2 inch strips.

I think this block shows the fabric well not to mention being dead simple!


No comments: