Thursday, March 14, 2013

Modern Star

I keep a little book of blocks that I want to try and make and when I am looking for something to new try with some scrap of fabric, I will turn to these. One of the most recent ones that I put into the book and thought I got to try this one, was the Modern Star.

I first saw it when I was looking in my favorite 4 X5 bee blocks on Flickr. If you are looking for some neat blocks to try out then this is a good source. Anyways Laineybug Designs put out this tutorial for this star block.  It is detailed and takes a bit of planning prior to getting started but its pretty easy and well worth the extra work at the end when you have to make it all fit around a central square.


So what did I come up with?  My first one was made using scraps from a scrap bag I got from Hawthorne Threads. I love what they send me. I used the dark green from Tula Pink Nightshade line as the starting of point.


I liked this so much I thought I would make a few more. Now I have a nice little pile of three blocks waiting to be sewn up on the sewing machine. And since I needed a block for a block challenge, I decided to use it for that too! Here is what that one looks like. 

Depending on how you place your fabric they all can look so different.

1 comment:

happy zombie said...

Beautiful blocks, Lara!! I love that you made something out of scraps!