Thursday, September 20, 2012

Bird Bath Blocks


I picked up last year; I think it was, Joel Dewberry’s Aviary.  Not only did I get the purple color way but also the gold/grey version.  After a long time of looking at them wrapped up in their package from the Fat Quarter shop along with pulling fabrics that would work with these prints, I saw another quilter who inspired me with her quilt made using Elizabeth Hartman’s birdbath quilt .  While I can’t find the link of the original quilt to show you, I knew this was how I was going to use up the gold and grey version of Aviary.  
 
 
After making the first four blocks I think I will modify my method and not follow the instructions as closely as I did for the first four. Sometimes I find cutting the fabric out exactly is not always a good thing as you may be a bit short.  Much better to cut the strip off once it’s sewn on to the block rather than trying to stretch it out. Key though in this particular block is a good pressing at each stage.
My goal is to have the blocks done by the end of September, making at least one block a day unless of course I have the time to make more like on the weekends.  Since I have a course starting on Tuesday and have no idea how much extra time it will eat out of my downtime, I best try to get as much done as possible. 



No comments: