Sunday, November 27, 2011

Grey Cup and Holiday Baking

This Sunday in Canada is Grey Cup Sunday, which means that over 40 milliion Canadians are watching, at least for a little while, two teams play football in Vancouver.  This year its the BC Lions and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.  It could have been Edmonton, my fav team but they got over confident and lost out.  So here I am watching another team playing instead.  My prediction Bombers 20/14 over the Lions.

This Sunday also means the First Sunday of Advent, my favorite time of the Church Liturgical year.  For those who are not churched, Advent is a time of waiting and preparation for the coming of Christ. I find it kind of ironic that what is to be a time of contemplation and reflection is so far from that in reality. 

As it is Advent that also means that I have to put it in gear to get the Christmas baking done as I often will give it as gifts to folks.  I have been neglecting the Coxan where I work by not providing duff          ( sweets.)  No wonder he is a bit grumpy as of late. I have been making an assortment of shortbreads, trying a lot of savory ones which is new for me.  Also making some old favorites like almond bark, chow mein chews and chocolate cherry rounds. I think I am almost there in terms of baking.  Just some lemon pistachio rectangles, scottish shortbread and lefse remain to make. 
Chow Mein Cookies
Not sure if I will be trying to complete these during the week or if I will wait until the weekend to complete.  I also have to get ready for a colleagues birthday coming up in a few days.  While it is pretty tempting to toss him off the jetty for his birthday, I will have to see about a little something for him. 
Rosemary Chili Shortbread
Cranberry Pistachio White Chocolate Bark
We also started putting up Christmas decorations.  The outdoor stuff went up just after Remembrance Day as the weather was still pretty nice. The sad thing is that our new lights, these really cool icicle lights got water in them and died.  Now we are just doing plain icicle lights which looks okay.  We also put up two of three trees last night.  It was neat to pull out ornaments and remember where we got them,and other memories attached to them.  Some are really old, 42 plus years, but are in good shape.  Putting up the tree made me think of my grandpa's tree.  He would put it up on a stand in the middle of the front window and load it with lights, tinsel and ornaments.  While it was so full and colorful, it didn't look gaudy though I suppose it easily could.  Our third tree is going to be done up in that kind of style, dressed in pink, blue, purple and lime green.  I can't wait to see what it looks like.


Keeping up with the preparing for Christmas theme,  I also got a lot of Christmas presents wrapped and ready for going under the tree.  And while that is good, I am also procrasitinting putting binding on the quilts that I got back from the long armer two weeks ago. I really must give myself a talking to!

No comments: