Friday, January 3, 2014

January 2014 Joy Bee Block

I looked for a long time in my galleries of favorite blocks and decided that the bee block for Joy do good stitches needed to be simple and fast. I came across Allison Harris' " Sweet" quilt from her book, Growing Up Modern and decided that would be the one that would work for me.



Since it is the New Year I called upon Pantone and decided that Radiant Orchid would be a wonderful color start for this quilt. Isn't it a gorgeous color.  I could just paint a wall in the house this color.  Perhaps bathroom accessories? 

 PANTONE COLOR OF THE YEAR 2014 - Radiant Orchid 18-3224

So I pulled out all my scraps of purple and cut them up into 2.5 inch squares. Taking 16 of them I laid them out so that the lighter colors were in the center as I will be putting a cream colored border around them.

 I sew them into rows of four, then went and sewed those together to get the two blocks below.  Add my fellow Joy bee blocks when they come at the end of the month and I will have a lovely new quilt to give to a charity.  I have yet to figure out who will receive it, but I am thinking I need to have a chat with some of the retired sisters at the local convent and see if there is someone who needs a warm quilt. 

  The unfortunate thing is I think I can make 20 of these quilts in order to get rid of all the scraps that I have.  While I have changed my wicked ways, meaning I am using all the scraps to make extra blocks or to put on the back of the quilt along with other large cuts that I have in the stash. 


Here is to whittling the scrap basket down. 

No comments: